At Durban Dental Centre we offer a tried and tested solution called the ‘Sleepwell’
Sleepwell prevents the lower jaw from dropping back during sleep thereby preventing the closure of your airways during sleep – an effective stop snoring remedy. Sleepwell is a custom made mouth piece produced within a laboratory to fit your teeth. Sleepwell has some unique features including a soft inner lining, allows side to side movement of the lower jaw and most importantly allows the patient to adjust it to maximize effectiveness. High levels of patient comfort meant that during clinical trials over 98% of patients found Sleepwell an acceptable snoring remedy.
For more information about the ‘Sleepwell’ go to:
The main cause of snoring is the partial closure of the airway during sleep.
During sleep muscles in the neck relax and for some people the soft tissue in the upper throat vibrates, which makes the sound we know as snoring.
Now you know about snoring do you know about Sleep Apnoea?
Some snorers stop snoring and also stop breathing – a medical condition called Sleep Apnoea. This is caused by the airway closing completely during sleep thereby preventing snorers from breathing. This condition is called Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA).
Snorers are often made to feel guilty, however the causes of snoring are often beyond their control. Certain factors increase the chances of being a snorer:-
- Physiology – The shape of the airway in some people makes snoring more likely.
- Being Overweight – Excess body fat increases the chances of snoring.
- Age – As we age weaker throat muscles increase snoring.
- Lifestyle – Some people snore after drinking alcohol or taking sleeping tablets due to the extra relaxation caused in the neck and throat.
In addition snoring has been associated with medical complications and if left untreated the potential for developing obstructive sleep apnoea.
YOUR SNORING COULD BE A SIGN OF A MORE SERIOUS MEDICAL CONDITION
Studies have shown that the lack of sleep caused by snoring has wide reaching effects such as :
- daytime sleepiness
- a lack of energy
- poor motivation
- accidents related to driving while tired
- higher stress levels due to fatigue
- less effectiveness at work effecting remuneration and career progression
- reduced sex drive
Don’t loose another nights sleep about this problem, book an appointment to see how we can help you.